Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Cheerleaders, Episode 3 - The Track Meet


Blondie and her pal, Becky, cheerleaders extraordinaire, outwit their foe Kara yet again, this time at a school track meet. (Note to self: tell Jessica that it's spelled touche', not tooshay.

One should note that our future career cartoonist is being quite altruistic here - it is she, not Becky, who takes the hit this time around. And, the contrast on this kinda sucks, because you can't really see the look of sheer exasperation on Kara's face in panel 3 like you can in the original.

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger scooter said...

I actually teach 8th grade reading, social studies and writing. The frosh cheer squad is selected in the early spring of the 8th grade year, so they can train and whatnot and be ready for the first games in the fall. I've asked her for a ink original of her main characters that I'm really going to frame and hang in my classroom. For one, I find the drawings incredibly delightful, and for two, this kid might find her little cheerleaders edging Dilbert out of the funny pages one of these days, and I can say "I taught her when..." :o)

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger scooter said...

On another point: the character Kara is based on one of the artist's friends in class. Today, I told Kara something or other, and she gave me a glare that matched *exactly* the look of exasperation her character shows in panel three. I think that's why I love Jessica's work so much - she really has a gift for emotion and facial expressions in her drawings. The "Osama" bit from the last cartoon matches the person it is referencing as well (Becky, not Public Enemy #1), especially when she has a particularly devious plan afoot. I tell you, I wouldn't trade this job for anything.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So all of you people who look at my comics... How do you like them? I love all the comments on them! Oh, and thanks..."Scooter" for posting them. One day, when I'm famous,( I hope!), I'll be like,"I'd like to thank my 8th grade teacher "Scooter"! He-he!Oh, then I'd have to thank Schmiddy, Becky...and so on. Well, see ya tomorrow at school! Tooooo-Shay!
-Jessi

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kara and becky again. rainey we gotta say you rock for putting these comics on. i miss 8th grade so much. and as much as i(kara) liked to say i was so misunderstood and that all you guys were annoying, well, you were all really cool. your class was awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home