All I wanted was a Pepsi!! Just one Pepsi!!!
Backstory:
In the springtime of my youth in Southern California, I spent many an hour listening to the only radio station worth listening to, LA's very own 106.7 KROQ.
KROQ was alternative before it was a term. They had the first interview with the Sex Pistols on the West Coast. It was the only radio station on the dial where you could hear the Ramones back to back with the Thompson Twins (and it wasn't just the top 40 TT songs, either - KROQ celebrated their earlier, funkier stuff "Lies," "We Are Detective," stuff like that).Anyway, for anyone like me who grew up listening to KROQ in the mid-eighties, there is a refrain in one song that should stick in your mind. It's from the song "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies. For those of you who don't know the band/song, they were one of a number of second-generation LA-based punk rock bands, who often accented their material by being funny in an offbeat sort of way. (The masters of this were Los Alamitos' own The Vandals, but that's a different story and a different post). Anyway, in "Institutionalized," long-suffering "Mike" explains to the listeners all the troubles he goes through with his family and various authority figures who believe he's going over the edge and needs professional help. The verse in question goes something like this:

I was sitting in my room thinking about everything and then again thinking about nothing. And my mom comes in my room and calls my name, and I don't hear her and she starts screaming , "Mike!! Mike!!" And I'm like, "What?" And she says "What's wrong with you? Are you on drugs?" "No, Mom, I'm not on drugs, I'm just thinking. Can you get me a Pepsi?" "No, you're on drugs!! Normal people don't act this way!" All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi! And she wouldn't give it to me!!!!!"
The closer she gets to the dreaded thirteen, the more E's rants sound like our friend Mike's up there. So, I've taken to turning to Kat anytime E's on a bender and intoning (usually under my breath) "All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi!!!" So, ha-ha, fun parent joke and all.
Granted, things never work out quite the way I envision them.
A few days ago, Em was letting fly over, I don't know, homework? Chores? Her opinion vs her mom's opinion on the color of the sky? Whatever. Anyway, while she's going on, I lean over to Kat and say, "All I wanted was a Pepsi! Just one Pepsi! And she wouldn't give it to me!"
To which my darling seven-year-old, who has no knowledge of Suicidal Tendencies, let along Punk Rock, told me sweetly:
I'll get you a Pepsi, Daddy!!

Whatta kid! If Mike had her for a mom, he'd be an accountant with a ranch house in Rossmoor right now.


5 Comments:
Too funny! And you are the third person to reference this line in less than a month. Eric's been doing it for years -- but a lot lately; then another So.Cal transplant at work; then you! Hahahaha... -- k murphy j
Dude,
in the early 80's when insurance was good and recovery new, kids were getting tossed into Charter hospital all the time. Hence, I think, the complaint. Course, all he wanted was a pepsi.
And the slam punk riff that comes in this song....oh man, yep.
t
I used to go home and watch Voltron. And then the video show I forget which channel that would show Suicidal Tendencies, Twisted Sister, Warrant, Ratt, Oingo Boingo, Chilli Peppers, etc
Do you remember that? Something like "Video 21" or other.
Good times.
My kids know all about Punk and I quote songs all the time! LOL I even Yell, SID, Your POP TARTS ARE READY!!
I did embarrass them the other day when I was singing MCR in the car when I dropped them off at school the other morning ;) My kids are 11 & 12. I'm 42 and my friends were in a punk band in high school so I used to be one of the few girls at the OC shows all the time. I rented American Hardcore and told my son & his punk friends on his LaCrosse team about about the old days.
Great post - KROQ was great, especially in the early 80s.
Post a Comment
<< Home