Monday, November 07, 2005

Video didn't kill the radio star, but it sure freaked out my 10-year-old


So I introduced my eldest to Adam and the Ants. I showed her the video for "Stand and Deliver" - my all-time fave Ants tune. Emily found it rather incomprehensible why all the guys in the video were wearing lip gloss. (Try explaining that little bit of 80's culture to your children sometime - t'ain't easy, trust me).

Along the way, she also saw Duran Duran's "Planet Earth" ("Daddy, that guy playing the keyboard looks like a girl!" - just what we all said back in the old days), Elvis Costello's "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" ("His glasses are really weird!" - again, I recall making a similar comment around 1982 or so) and U2's "Gloria" ("Look, Daddy! The Edge has hair!" - she's been versed in current U2-ology and the fact that Dave "The Edge" Evans always wears a beanie cap these days because he's losing his hair - not a problem in 1981 where he, on the far right on the album cover, has that shaggy mop).

I'd like to say all this either qualifies me for the coolest dad award or the most irresponsible parent award - I'm not really sure which. Perhaps you can vote.

4 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Blogger Tenax said...

Scott,

you are the 80's. You were ultra 80's during the 80's, you never stopped, and now it's all come around and you're ultra cool. Good for you. Still have fond memories of seeing Adam with you.

t

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

I vote for coolest dad. Totally.

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you show them the movie "Stand and Deliver"?

Gosh, it is so unusual for me, of all people, to be recommending a movie! So it must be good!

And, it's from 1988, so it meets your other requirement, too! ;-)

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I miss you and your odd movies and music...I really do, Rainey. *tear* You know, I was at GoodWill the other day with my friend, seeking shelter from the rain, and we started glancing through the CD section. Guess what we found? They Might Be Giants. I was ecstatic. It made me think of you, and Knowledge Bowl, and the good old days before life went to hell, and I had to buy it...I think I'm gonna go listen to it...
P.S. I vote for coolest dad, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home