Friday, May 13, 2005

Missed this one, too, just like I did "Indian Reservation"


Megan Follows, as Anne of Green Gables

Regular readers of this blog know I had to eat a healthy dose of humble pie over the fact that EVERY FREAKING ONE OF YOU seems to know the song "Indian Reservation." Come to find out, there's another little treasure out there that had somehow been off my radar, and I'm sure every one of you has not only read the books, but seen all the movies, too. Freakin' literate types - sheesh.

It's the Anne of Green Gables stories. Katrina introduced me to the series through the 1986 movie version of the first novel, and I've fallen in love with the story of this spitfire redheaded orphan who manages to overcome all the bad stuff thrown her way. I have the first two books at school, and was going to bring them home with me this weekend, but I forgot, so I'll grab 'em on Monday.

Pining away to raise our own little brood of red-headed Annes (from Colorado, not Canada) might just be driving this strong reaction, but I still like the story. It's sweet and pure, and just good storytelling. (On the aforementioned brood: the latest news is... there's no news, except that the girls' social worker has promised to contact us one way or the other, and we overnighted her a package of photos of us a couple weeks ago... had the die already been cast, and she just forgot to contact us, getting a set of photos of us would surely have jogged her memory. So, pray, pray, pray).

Anyway, Anne Shirley rocks, as does Prince Edward Island. 'nuff said.

1 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger KMJ said...

I saw the movie first. My mom and I watched it each of four nights on PBS - an hour per night. I fell in love with the story (and Gilbert Blythe) immediately. I just recently bought the DVD and break it out on dreary weekends if I need a spirit boost. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home