Rumble, rumble, burp
Mt. St. Helens, also known as Loowit or Fire Mountain to the local Indians, put on a real show for us today. As I was driving home, I noted that there was a small steam plume rising up from the mountain; this has been a rather regular occurrance as of late. (In fact, it looked very much like the photo I posted back in January, only with less snow cover on the mountain). Anway, I got home around 5:15 today, and Katrina and I, taking advantage of the nice, warm weather (70 degrees in Vancouver today - take that, Southern California!), were sitting in the backyard. We'd been talking for about fifteen minutes when Katrina's mom called us from I-5, where she was heading northward. North on I-5 gives one an unobstructed view of the mountain, and, apparently, she saw it blow. We grabbed the digital camera and rushed out of the house over to an open field off SE 164th Avenue, and snapped the shots that follow. It truly was impressive.
A news guy from KOIN 6 in Portland was there, filming it, and the crowd's reactions. He seemed to get interested in me, so I hammed it up for the camera. I was talking to Katrina about the shots I was getting when I noticed a TV camera trained on me. I looked up, directly into its lens, and said, "I'll have to show these to my students tomorrow." I looked back through the viewfinder of my camera, then back to the TV camera. "I teach 8th grade." Back to the viewfinder, then back to the TV camera. "In Washougal. Jemtegaard Middle School." Once more, back to the camera, then back to the TV camera lens. "Go Huskies!" I then refocused my attention on the digital camera for a few seconds, then slyly turned back to the TV cameraman (who, inexplicably, still had his rig trained on me). "You're not really going to show any of this on TV, are you?"
He told me he wasn't sure, which is why I'm up at 11:36 on a night before I have a 7 AM staff meeting, because we stayed up to watch the 11:00 news, just in case I got on.
I didn't.
But, I still got some cool shots of the mountain. Woo-ee! Thar she blows!


2 Comments:
Pretty cool stuff. I was impressed with the photo, but even more impressed that there was an 'open field' nearby in which to run to. Not many of those down here in SoCal. Peace, brother.
=( that really sucks. It would have been totally awesome if you were on the news. I heard about the mountain from Brittni. We were talking on the internet, then she got off, then almost immediantly back on again and told me Mt. St. Helens blew and I was like: O_O really? Then Brit said in was on breaking news. So then Bogue was on and I said: mt. st. helens (enter) news (enter) NOW!! .... too bad I can't see it from my house, there's too many trees... *sad*
Post a Comment
<< Home