The memory of cars (more unfocused writing - 'pologies to ev'one)
Of course, many of you remember my Hyundai that we cruised everywhere in. That car was bought new, of course, in '86... but it rapidly became a beater, despite its shiny exterior. I think I paid for that car three or four times with all the repairs I made on it. Still, as with Mike's Nova and Troy's Vega, my radio was a thing to behold. I think I had every preset on KROQ - why listen to anything else? Troy can certainly recall our trips to Los Angeles the summer after we graduated (my BA, his MA), working for our next-door-neighbor there at the Jacinto apartments -what was his name again? I can clearly see him in my mind - he was quite a big boy. Remember how we got lost that one morning, and listened to Kevin and Bean as we roamed all over Beverly Hills, half-heartedly trying to find Wilshire and Fairfax, but really hoping we could just drive and drive and drive, and listen to the tunes?
romy probably remembers many late night/early morning excursions in that car in high school -rom, do you remember the morning of your 17th birthday? I recall barging into your room at something like 6 AM with Steve Wolf, dressed up as... I dunno, spies or something, and "kidnapping" you and taking you to breakfast, I think. Was Kim with us? Speaking of Kim, do you figure she remembers us? Last I saw her, she was playing bass for Pink. Nice gig, I guess.


4 Comments:
jaymarie,
Let me speak for everyone here by saying that I'm humbled by your kind words. Yes, it is indeed a beautiful, beautiful thing that's gone on here - and it's funny, because, although most of us in this little blog family were connected by our old church in Long Beach, not all were, and not all were at the same time. For me, personally, the folks on this blog represent different times of my life, all come together in a truly amazing amalgamation. I played baseball with differentriver as an eight-year-old, and was honored to be the only non-Jewish groomsman in his wedding some sixteen years later. mrsfish is one of my best friends dating from the sixth grade - she and I were thick as thieves through much of middle school and high school (she was the one who brought me to Bethany Church, then known as Bethany Baptist Church, in 10th grade). We drifted a bit after she and Ben got married and settled down to making a life for themselves, but have always remained in touch, and are now in closer contact than we've been in for years. Sherry is a friend from our youth group at Bethany, and someone (sorry to air this here, Sherry, but everyone knows it) I dated briefly at the age of 19. KMJ is one of my closest friends dating back from our first year at Long Beach State, when she began attending the college group at Bethany. It was her move to the Northwest that precipitated my own two years later. romy (lowercase, "rom" to me and me only - long story) is another dear friend whom I first met freshman year of high school, and, like Sherry, briefly dated (10th grade, was it, rom?) We have a long and storied friendship that has seen us through much in 20 (!) years. Troy - my bro - a man to whom I owe much of my sanity. A truly brilliant, devilishly handsome, yet immensely humble man, who has had more than his share of hurts, yet is always willing to listen, and unafraid to show his remarkable sense of empathy. And lastly, my best friend (who doesn't post as much, but is a regular reader, as I am able to watch her doing so from my own computer) is my wife, Kat - the most amazing woman I've ever known - my lover, my best friend, my confidante, my soulmate - it's my life's work to make myself worthy of the gift God has given me in her.
But, Jaymarie, I don't think I'd be stepping on any of these people's toes to say that we'd all love to welcome you into this family - I'd say you've already become a part of it, to be honest. Your views and words of encouragement are as important as anyone else's - and, even though we might not be able to get together as we would wish for the proverbial coffee and conversation, let's all revel in God's goodness that He's given us this medium in this late age.
Peace to all. (Should this be a blog entry? Man, my comments have sure gotten on the long end lately!)
scooter (posting from work on the guvmint's dime - damn Macintosh won't let me log in as myself)
In reference to differentriver's query about the Pontiac, how could I possibly *forget* a vehicle as grand as that one? As I recall, it was, what, a '64 Catalina? I do recall it had a cylinder out, therefore running on only seven, and it would chug and clunk until it got up to freeway speed, at which point it would chug along just fine. I also remember the numberous battle scars it bore - one from being rear-ended by a Corvette (that was totaled), and many others, too numerous to count. I also remember that it was acquired by your family from another family member when it was about ten years old, and your dad decided to keep it as long as it would run...which was well into the late 80s. Finally, I remember that one of your dad's students bought it for a song, and managed to get it running, and drove it off, ostenibly to restore it. I'd bet it's still running, somewhere down in southern California.
My fave car of your family, though, was the Chevy Nova, that literally DROPPED A PART DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD, and the thing was such a brutish tank that you just pulled over, plopped said part into the trunk, and kept on driving. Now, that was when America knew how to build cars!!!
Serious family reunion time here, people! Scott, yes, I suppose it's ok to "air", as you stated. No harm, no foul. Someday you ought to post a complete family tree of this blog community, including who dated whom (or wished they had), who went to school together from elementary up through college, who has made thousand mile moves only to relocate once again as neighbors in a different state. It's all so crazy. I remember the red Hyundai. How could I forget it? I logged a few hours in that car--even took it for a joyride once. Very little joy on your part, as I recall. Amanda, your blue truck, with the cap on the back and the padded, carpeted back end will always be a special memory. How many high schoolers could we cram back there, lounging luxuriously on each other without the slightest thought of seatbelts? Good times, good times.
Actually, I think it would be very cool for all of us to create our own blog-family trees, because it would be different from each of our perspectives.
And, yep, they all said it before, but so many of us are connected in odd "friend of a friend" ways --and just the stories of how we got there is pretty intricate. But now you're in. Sorry, I don't think there's any way out...
:) Peace.
Post a Comment
<< Home